Tuesday, June 30, 2015

June 28, 2015

Homer is a true fishing town. We arrived about lunch time and set up camp on the “Spit”. This is exactly what it is…a spit of land going far out into the bay. During the earthquake in 1964, the Spit dropped over 8 feet in elevation. As is, you are not at a very high elevation here. When the tide is out, you can see that the land drops off steeply but not without mud flats and sand bars. There is lots of activity around the harbor at all hours. Big oil tankers and barges come into the harbor. The ferry lands nearby.

We walked to the point of the Spit for the start of a sailboat regatta. Apparently, there is quite an active sailboat group here. It was fun to watch them jockey for position but it did not take long before they were in a long string heading for the next buoy.

June 29, 2015



I may have mentioned that both Jerry and I got colds in Fairbanks. Well, we still have them. Jerry seems to be getting over his while I have a tenacious cough which is holding me back from the enjoyment I should be having. So other than walking the beach this morning…there are shells here…I pretty much vegged all day. Jerry, on the other hand, visited the marina and hiked around taking pictures. It has been quite cool and very damp with clouds hanging so low you can almost brush them with your fingertips. What I wouldn’t give for some sunshine! Now if Seattle would quite hogging all that heat and send some this way…

June 30, 2015

The sun came out for a bit then returned about 8 pm. So we walked the beach and caught a few flicks. I apologize for my hit or miss technique for this blog. I may just do the blog part and add photos when the wifi is  particularly fast. This has been struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment